Skip to main content

Oriental Spirit

One of my best friends and I had polished off a bottle of champagne (a relatively normal Tuesday for us...) and were in dire need of food. It being mid-January, my local pub was still closed for summer holidays, so we headed down to Victoria Street in Richmond and basically chose the first open restaurant we saw (after one we'd already been to). The lucky winner: Oriental Spirit (54 Victoria Street, Richmond).



It had been one of those appalling 35+ degree days, but was starting to cool down, so the front had been opened up, allowing a pleasant airflow and a nice closeness to the passing Vietnamese nannas and friendly local dealers. There was also a non-offensive view of the bank across the road. Score!

I was a little tipsy (surprise, surprise), so can't say that I really noted what sort of cuisine Oriental Spirit offered; I just assumed, like many other restaurants along Victoria Street - and especially because of its vague name - that they served pan-Asian cuisine. A bit of Googling has since revealed it is actually of the Thai persuasion. And, in retrospect, that makes complete sense, as both the noodle dishes we ordered were staples of Thai cuisine: Pad See-Ew and Pad Thai (duh). They were delicious, although I was in a somewhat-drunken stupor of hunger, so cardboard probably would have tasted great to me then. I wasn't able to finish (too full of bubbles, probably) and took the leftovers home - so I am able to report from those that they were indeed delicious!

Beef Pad See-Ew

Chicken Pad Thai

I do recall that the staff were very friendly and smiley - a pleasant change from others I've been to in the area. I also very much enjoyed the menu, with its "tofo", descriptions of prawn crackers but no explanation for Lettuce Delight*, and "Thai hot" being a measure of spiciness:

Prawn crackers clearly described; Crispy "Tofo" on offer

"Thai hot"... God forbid

*While we're on Lettuce Delight -- what's with that?! I knew it as San Choi Bow growing up (or some variation of that), possibly because I always ate it at Chinese restaurants. But wherever I've seen it in Melbourne - admittedly, usually at pan-Asian restaurants - it's called Lettuce Delight. Often it's delightful; I'm not disputing that. It's always encased in lettuce. Only, it seems like a bit of an airy-fairy name rather than authentic. Y'know?! ...Okay, rant over.

Also, and I know this is dorky, but I really liked the cutlery. It was big and heavy and looked kinda like silver bamboo. My friend also liked the serviettes. Can't remember why. (Why?)



I quite liked Oriental Spirit, and if I ever get through the gazillion other restaurants along Victoria Street, I would like to go back. Hell, I'll probably be back there next week, just because of its proximity to both my house and the bottle shop.




Oriental Spirit on Urbanspoon

Popular posts from this blog

Lane's Edge, Waiter's (Club) Restaurant

Meyers Place is one of my favourite Melbourne laneways to hang out in, not least because it offers a variety of bars to choose from. Yes, there are several, but together they form a chilled-out sanctuary from the ritzy, pricey hotspots around the top end of Bourke Street ( Siglo/Supper Club/City Wine Shop , Longrain , Madame Brussels , Gin Palace and 1806 all come to mind). Don't get me wrong - many of these are excellent; but when you venture out midweek on a regular basis, it's nice to know you have a cluster of affordable, more relaxed options available, as well as the schmancier, special-occasion places. Also handy is how easy Meyers Place is to find, compared to many other Melbourne laneways. "It comes off Bourke Street, near the Parliament end," is a phrase I'm sure I've spouted multiple times to uninitiated friends. Failing that, I tell them to look for the Palace Theatre - it's almost directly across the road. The Bourke Street entrance to Me

Kong

We'd been hearing about it for months and months. Chris Lucas and his never-fail Lucas Group venues had closed what was Pearl Cafe at 599 Church Street (corner of Newton Street), Richmond, and left the small 60-seater site to marinate for a while. Things went quiet next to  Petbarn , then suddenly the new fit-out was complete, and Broadsheet was running a competition in cahoots with Mercedes-Benz for winners to experience the as-yet-unopened restaurant, Kong , at a special (and very well-publicised) dinner. There were also tastes of the food - with mixed reviews - through Rue & Co , a pop-up Collins Street venture between Kong, Jimmy Grants and St Ali . Everyone was anticipating Executive Chef Benjamin Cooper 's menu - would it be all "chilli, chilli and more chilli", that he had proclaimed as his preference on a Masterchef immunity challenge? Or would his expertise from heading up the kitchen at the ever-popular Flinders Lane haunt,  Chin

Supernormal

Is it, though? So normal it's super normal? I think maybe not. There are a lot of 'normal' things at Supernormal (180 Flinders Lane, Melbourne) - you go in, get a table (if you're lucky), order food, eat it at said table. But there are a few things that set this restaurant apart. Kitchen behind the bar One is size. Supernormal is quite big for a Melbourne CBD restaurant. There are different sections: a looooong bar (behind which sits the kitchen, and which pretty much runs the length of the restaurant), a line of booth-style tables, a couple of walls hosting tables with bench seating, and stand-alone tables in the middle. Bench seating tables and random display flowers and bottles It also has a very high ceiling, which makes the interior feel very spacious and airy. Hard surfaces everywhere do echo the noisy chatter from so many covers, but the space above all the heads helps absorb it. Stand-alone tables in the middle and hi Another is