Skip to main content

New York Tomato

I wanted to try this cafe just for its name! I've popped in to New York Tomato (corner New & York Streets, Richmond... well, that explains the name) a few times now, and I'm starting to really enjoy it.

Dad joke alert


From the outside, New York Tomato is hardly obvious. It's almost on top of the South Morang train line, a block or two south of North Richmond Station. The cafe venue itself is the last subdivision of a row of warehouse conversions, only recognisable by the fact that its small frontage is open to the street and often landmarked by a pretty scooter. (Can you call a motorised bike pretty? ...ahhhh fuggit.)



Once you realise you've got the right place, you're basically already in the courtyard, which is effectively the main dining area. It's cosy and covered, but still 'open air', so I'll be interested to see how the place fares during winter.



Behind the courtyard area, just indoors, is the compactly arranged kitchen, serving counter, and limited bench seating along the window, plus a stairway to another dining space upstairs.

Sitting outside


The coffee is Melba Organic and since the installation of a new machine a few months ago, it's tasting a lot better.



I wouldn't put this place top of my list for coffee though (not that its shite): the main attraction is the cool and relaxed warehouse vibe, closely followed by the funky food.

Warehouse conversion much??

One of the spunky menu covers. So hot I wanted to marry it


The food sure packs a punch - this brekkie ain't for the lighthearted. The new winter menu has just been released and everything seems to have rocket, chilli or chipolata involved: definitely STRONG flavours (but I like that).

The Winter Eggs sound pretty awsballz

Variety of foodal influences

What's a New York-related cafe without heapsa bagel options?

"Workers" Bagel with extra bacon (hangover food)

Something amazeballs from the old menu with rocket, pumpkin, corn cake


When I last went to New York Tomato, I sat upstairs for the first time. It's a light-filled space with strong colours, chunky fittings and bench seating. I had the run of the room to myself, and basically made the staff members variously trek upstairs to deliver the menu, drinks, food, etc. They didn't seem to mind though, and despite sitting directly under a speaker playing (cool) loud funk music whilst nursing a hangover, I very much enjoyed the overall experience.

Hopper-esque.  No?

Upstairs

Street view and buckets of natural light

"Men Are So Ardent" - really??


While every other lower Northside cafe seems to try really hard to be ultra hip(ster) and have a little bit of delicate-classy food based on whatever ingredients are cool right now, New York Tomato is just itself: kinda full-on, but spunky. I like it.



New York Tomato on Urbanspoon

Popular posts from this blog

Anju Restaurant + Bar

Some friends wanted to try the new Korean fusion joint Anju Restaurant + Bar (18 Little La Trobe Street, Melbourne), so I happily joined them for an early Friday dinner. Not having eaten much Korean food previously, I'm still learning about what constitutes 'traditional' Korean fare, so I was interested to see how this place did 'fusion'. Owner Young Choi went from a retail background to opening a completely fusion restaurant (combining Spanish, Mexican and Japanese), before adapting to patrons' requests for more the more traditional foods of his native background. The result is a schmick, modern restaurant/bar down a dodgy-looking CBD street, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Let me break it down for you... The style Anju has a warm industrial feel with traditional accents. Wooden floorboards, tables and decorative features (like planter boxes and wooden toy trucks hanging overhead) are interspersed with hard industrial surfaces like ...

Double Happiness, New Gold Mountain

Some names in Melbourne's bar scene are thrown around quite a lot. Everyone's heard of Cookie , the Carlton , Gin Palace , Supper Club . Since arriving in Melbourne in 2009, I have heard the name Double Happiness  (21 Liverpool Street, Melbourne) a lot, and thought, 'What a nice name!' (DOUBLE happiness! Man, I reckon most people would be pretty content with SINGLE happiness) - not realising I had actually already been to this tiny, iconic laneway bar. Double Happiness is topped by New Gold Mountain - technically a separate entity, but both bars are so small and so close, one would be forgiven for thinking they were the same bar with a different theme on each level.* They're run by the same crew as Lily Black's - a 'top marks' bar for its location (on Meyers Place ) and its Art Deco stylings - and Mr Wow's Emporium on Smith Street (another place I've heard of a lot but not yet made it to... SAD FACE). Liverpool Street is one of the many la...

Arbory Bar and Eatery

New: Arbory Bar and Eatery, Flinders Walk, Melbourne When I heard Arbory Bar and Eatery had opened along one side of Flinders Street Station, I was surprised that I'd managed to skip any pre-launch hype about it. (a) A new bar, (b) in such a central location, and (c) such a big venue - how had I missed this?! But no matter. I was able to get along and check it out only two weeks after opening. Redeemed. Drinks with a river view So - this place is pretty cool. Arbory (Flinders Walk, Melbourne) runs the length of the old Sandridge platform (up to 150 metres, depending on which source you believe), along the river side of Flinders Street Station. The Sandridge railway line, which went to what is now Port Melbourne, ran for 133 years from 1854. Since it was decommissioned in 1987, its dedicated Flinders platform had been left terribly sad and unused. Flinders Street Station backs onto one length of Arbory The combined powers of  Metro Trains and the HQ Hospita...