Skip to main content

Jinda Thai Restaurant

Cheap Asian food is something I grew up with in Sydney. Melbourne is often touted as having a better dining scene than Sydney (medium-range and fine dining -- absolutely! -- well, in my experience), but even after nearly six years here, I still find Melbourne lacking in the cheap-but-great-quality-Asian-food category. And I'm not talking pan-Asian: I'm talking specific to one cuisine only, (Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Malaysian, etc). I still find it upsetting when I go to a Japanese restaurant and find Pad Thai on the menu, or something similar. I feel a restaurant should do one cuisine well, rather than try to pander to the tastes of patrons who may not yet be familiar with that cuisine. Use it as an opportunity to educate! Let your customers experience one of the last genuine representations of culture: food!
/rant



Happily, Jinda Thai (1-7 Fergus St, Abbotsford) is genuine, great-quality Thai food (only) at quite reasonable prices. It was opened in July 2013 by the owners of two Krua Thai venues. After a prompt write-up in Broadsheet, its patronage went through the roof, and it was very difficult to get a table. I'm not sure of its current status of busy-ness, but Jinda's Facebook page advises that it actually does take bookings. I have attempted to get in twice without a booking (once successful, once not!), so I am happy to learn that this is one Melbourne restaurant bucking the no-bookings trend.



Since it is down a side street just before Victoria Street's notorious strip of restaurants, you wouldn't really know Jinda was there unless you went seeking it. It also has a very unassuming-looking entrance. So it is surprising, once you find it, to see how large a space the restaurant inhabits.



Light and airy, the height and depth of the restaurant helps alleviate the chaos of all the bodies inside. There are a few kitsch Thai touches: carved wooden furniture, lanterns, flowery cushions, big portraits hanging on the walls, blackboard specials in curly Thai-style script; and a few industrial: large windows, exposed brick, warm paint colours. Basically, it's a really big room crammed with tables that somehow manages to feel warm and rustic, despite its size.



On my visit, service was friendly, but not exactly accurate. A few items of our order were buggered up - but rectified once brought to staff's attention. Fortunately, the quality of the food made up for any errors. My coeliac, vegetarian friend didn't have a heap of options, but they were able to adapt something for him. I only wish I'd written down the names of the dishes for you. Sorry! but they still look pretty mouth-watering, right?

Soft shell crab

MEAT

Thai green curry

Prawn thingies

Drunken or drowning something ??

Pad see ew

Dipping sauce


I would recommend trying Jinda with a big group of young-ish people (and a booking!) on a weeknight, when it's not so busy. With a bit of patience, you will get to enjoy some great food.

Jinda is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, and takes cash only.



Jinda Thai Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Popular posts from this blog

Anju Restaurant + Bar

Some friends wanted to try the new Korean fusion joint Anju Restaurant + Bar (18 Little La Trobe Street, Melbourne), so I happily joined them for an early Friday dinner. Not having eaten much Korean food previously, I'm still learning about what constitutes 'traditional' Korean fare, so I was interested to see how this place did 'fusion'. Owner Young Choi went from a retail background to opening a completely fusion restaurant (combining Spanish, Mexican and Japanese), before adapting to patrons' requests for more the more traditional foods of his native background. The result is a schmick, modern restaurant/bar down a dodgy-looking CBD street, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Let me break it down for you... The style Anju has a warm industrial feel with traditional accents. Wooden floorboards, tables and decorative features (like planter boxes and wooden toy trucks hanging overhead) are interspersed with hard industrial surfaces like ...

Double Happiness, New Gold Mountain

Some names in Melbourne's bar scene are thrown around quite a lot. Everyone's heard of Cookie , the Carlton , Gin Palace , Supper Club . Since arriving in Melbourne in 2009, I have heard the name Double Happiness  (21 Liverpool Street, Melbourne) a lot, and thought, 'What a nice name!' (DOUBLE happiness! Man, I reckon most people would be pretty content with SINGLE happiness) - not realising I had actually already been to this tiny, iconic laneway bar. Double Happiness is topped by New Gold Mountain - technically a separate entity, but both bars are so small and so close, one would be forgiven for thinking they were the same bar with a different theme on each level.* They're run by the same crew as Lily Black's - a 'top marks' bar for its location (on Meyers Place ) and its Art Deco stylings - and Mr Wow's Emporium on Smith Street (another place I've heard of a lot but not yet made it to... SAD FACE). Liverpool Street is one of the many la...

Arbory Bar and Eatery

New: Arbory Bar and Eatery, Flinders Walk, Melbourne When I heard Arbory Bar and Eatery had opened along one side of Flinders Street Station, I was surprised that I'd managed to skip any pre-launch hype about it. (a) A new bar, (b) in such a central location, and (c) such a big venue - how had I missed this?! But no matter. I was able to get along and check it out only two weeks after opening. Redeemed. Drinks with a river view So - this place is pretty cool. Arbory (Flinders Walk, Melbourne) runs the length of the old Sandridge platform (up to 150 metres, depending on which source you believe), along the river side of Flinders Street Station. The Sandridge railway line, which went to what is now Port Melbourne, ran for 133 years from 1854. Since it was decommissioned in 1987, its dedicated Flinders platform had been left terribly sad and unused. Flinders Street Station backs onto one length of Arbory The combined powers of  Metro Trains and the HQ Hospita...