Skip to main content

Ocha

Ocha (3 Church Street, Hawthorn) is something of a suburban legend. The Japanese restaurant built up a huge following at its original location in Pakington Street, Kew - so much so that it relocated to its current location in the revamped Beehive complex in 2010, effectively doubling its cover size from 35 to 70 plus. Comfortably settled in next door to schmancy gastro-pub Barkers Wine Bar (old-man-pub the Beehive Hotel in another life), Ocha is still notoriously difficult to get a booking at. I haven't tried their degustation ($120.00 per head), held on the last Monday of each month - but I imagine it, too, would be very popular. Ocha has even released its own ranges of dressings and sauces for home use. MERCH! My, that is confidence personified. Bottled. Whatever.

There to celebrate a milestone birthday, five of us rocked up on a Thursday evening, armed with lots of nice wine (of course). A delightful young chap was our waiter, most smiley and helpful, and he even remembered my request made at the start of the evening to bring out candles in the birthday girl's dessert at the end. Props, buddy! Special occasions are so much lovelier when everything flows right. Doncha think?

We requested a 'feed me' style menu, (a) to remove the element of having to concentrate, and (b) because everything is so yummy, it's really hard to pick. According to its website, Ocha aims to explore "the domestic theatre of great food", offering "contemporary Japanese flavours meticulously prepared" where "traditional techniques are combined with playful imaginative touches". I would agree with this assessment overall.

Now, clearly, it being a momentous occasion and all, much wine was consumed on this night, and as a result, my pictures were rather on the crapola side. But here they are anyway - and take my word for it: everything was delicious. It's also surprisingly fun to eat. (Must be the theatre aspect?!)

Grilled scallop with Ocha's hollandaise sauce

Salmon canapes (wasabi-infused salmon tartare on a potato crisp, with flying fish roe)

Ebi dango (crunchy prawn dumpling rolled in rice flakes, with green tea salt)

Sushi & sashimi platter

Calamari

Mirin-marinated chicken


Aaaaaaand the kicker (i.e. MY FAVOURITE, nom nom nom):

Teriyaki duck with bok choy ....ohhhhhh baby


Ocha admits to its dining room being an "understated affair" - and simple indeed it is. However, it is neutral-toned enough to impart a luxe feel, with white tablecloths, mod lighting and snappily-suited staff. In any case, you don't go there for the furnishings. Wink, wink! *

Decorative wall panelling

Mod lighting

Dividing curtain


In addition to its main restaurant, Ocha also offers a "2 go" option [linguistic shudder], a takeaway sister venue based at 64 Burwood Road, Hawthorn. Surely popular with locals if it's anything like the main restaurant, I haven't yet verified the excellence of Ocha 2 Go, but I'd like to. Some day. A girl can dream. In the meantime, I am quite happy to endorse Ocha Restaurant's fine dining deliciousness. Please go. But don't steal all the bookings.


*Although I would usually be lewd enough to comment on the gorgeousness of staff members (which is in fact mentioned on the restaurant's website), in this case, I am actually referring to the food. Shocker.



Ocha on Urbanspoon

Popular posts from this blog

Anju Restaurant + Bar

Some friends wanted to try the new Korean fusion joint Anju Restaurant + Bar (18 Little La Trobe Street, Melbourne), so I happily joined them for an early Friday dinner. Not having eaten much Korean food previously, I'm still learning about what constitutes 'traditional' Korean fare, so I was interested to see how this place did 'fusion'. Owner Young Choi went from a retail background to opening a completely fusion restaurant (combining Spanish, Mexican and Japanese), before adapting to patrons' requests for more the more traditional foods of his native background. The result is a schmick, modern restaurant/bar down a dodgy-looking CBD street, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Let me break it down for you... The style Anju has a warm industrial feel with traditional accents. Wooden floorboards, tables and decorative features (like planter boxes and wooden toy trucks hanging overhead) are interspersed with hard industrial surfaces like ...

Double Happiness, New Gold Mountain

Some names in Melbourne's bar scene are thrown around quite a lot. Everyone's heard of Cookie , the Carlton , Gin Palace , Supper Club . Since arriving in Melbourne in 2009, I have heard the name Double Happiness  (21 Liverpool Street, Melbourne) a lot, and thought, 'What a nice name!' (DOUBLE happiness! Man, I reckon most people would be pretty content with SINGLE happiness) - not realising I had actually already been to this tiny, iconic laneway bar. Double Happiness is topped by New Gold Mountain - technically a separate entity, but both bars are so small and so close, one would be forgiven for thinking they were the same bar with a different theme on each level.* They're run by the same crew as Lily Black's - a 'top marks' bar for its location (on Meyers Place ) and its Art Deco stylings - and Mr Wow's Emporium on Smith Street (another place I've heard of a lot but not yet made it to... SAD FACE). Liverpool Street is one of the many la...

Arbory Bar and Eatery

New: Arbory Bar and Eatery, Flinders Walk, Melbourne When I heard Arbory Bar and Eatery had opened along one side of Flinders Street Station, I was surprised that I'd managed to skip any pre-launch hype about it. (a) A new bar, (b) in such a central location, and (c) such a big venue - how had I missed this?! But no matter. I was able to get along and check it out only two weeks after opening. Redeemed. Drinks with a river view So - this place is pretty cool. Arbory (Flinders Walk, Melbourne) runs the length of the old Sandridge platform (up to 150 metres, depending on which source you believe), along the river side of Flinders Street Station. The Sandridge railway line, which went to what is now Port Melbourne, ran for 133 years from 1854. Since it was decommissioned in 1987, its dedicated Flinders platform had been left terribly sad and unused. Flinders Street Station backs onto one length of Arbory The combined powers of  Metro Trains and the HQ Hospita...