Skip to main content

BistroK

So apparently Korean food is 'the next big thing'. I had never really tried it and, considering myself an early adopter (plus, being local to Collingwood), I was keen to try out BistroK (366 Smith Street, Collingwood) as soon as I could. I'd read a review that described it as inexpensive, with cheesy music. Sold!




Not a fan of the name. I originally read it as "Bistro OK" - let's put that down to excitement rather than stupidity or deteriorating eyesight - and I'm going to assume the "K" is to do with "Korean" - perfectly legitimate, as is the "Bistro" part. It's just not very exciting or memorable though, is it? It's a bit pissy. Doesn't really match the strong standard of food, service or decor provided within.

I coerced a willing friend into a midweek meal and we wandered north of Johnston (the dead zone of Smith Street) into basically an empty restaurant. It's all red brick and sexy designer lighting: not your standard traditional-style Asian decor at all -- a pleasant change. Apparently some aspects of the fit-out were custom-made overseas, specifically for the venue. I very much liked the front table with its overhanging lights reflecting in the front window. By the time we left, this table was filled with men (that wasn't why I liked it, though - promise); in fact, most of the front room had filled up. According to its website, the restaurant has "dining rooms" (plural), and Urbanspoon also cites "outdoor dining". I witnessed none of this, but found the front room charming: simple, spacious, modern and warm.




The wine list was limited, but that's not usually a problem for me. I should have tried something interesting and Korean, but I was feeling sickly (poor excuse), so a glass of something white, alcoholic and not particularly outstanding sufficed.

The food menu comprises 'Small' and 'Main' dishes. Being new to Korean cuisine, we looked for some guidance from the ultra-friendly waitress, such as recommended dishes, and although she was smiley and willing, it was a little like knocking our heads against one of the restaurant's walls. So we picked our own: a handful of the 'Small' dishes, to share.

You can read the menu much better on their website

...just sayin'


In retrospect, I wish I'd ordered a main, because the 'Small' dishes were indeed small, and also to get a better perspective of the chef's highly-touted culinary skills. Jae Park previously cheffed [yes, it's a word... well, it is now] at a five-star French restaurant in Korea and then at Melbourne's Nobu. His plating [did you first learn that word from MasterChef, too?] is highly regarded. After eating at BistroK, I can endorse this. Some elements on the plate appeared to defy gravity, and could be both rich in flavour and ridiculously light at the same time.

We had...

Prawn & scallop salad with black sesame & tofu mousse

Bulgogi (marinated sliced beef) salad

Grilled asparagus & baby spinach salad

Side of rice... innit purrrrtty?

Pork belly with dried apple & kimchi chips


It was all very nice, and reasonably priced for the quality - absolutely. Nonetheless, I was a bit disappointed - after having read BistroK was inexpensive, I had envisaged more quantity for my dollar. Also, my ears were not alerted to any cheesy music. Damned expectations.

Hey mister, you match the lampshades


I would recommend this place for a date or small dinner gathering. It's classily done: pleasingly modern, quality product, and something different. Just make sure everyone knows what to expect going in, because even though the food will look spectacular and taste delicious, you could still come out hungry.




Bistro K on Urbanspoon

Popular posts from this blog

Spice Temple

Spice Temple  Neil Perry's Fine Dining Chinese Restaurant at Crown, Southbank, Melbourne
It's considered an institution in Melbourne, and with a chef to its name like Neil Perry, a location like Southbank, and an existence of six years in the Melbourne restaurant scene (when staying power is notoriously elusive), it's no wonder. Spice Temple's name is a pretty accurate description of the restaurant: food heavy in spices and spiciness; a dim space with a sort of hushed reverence.



The quiet tone of Spice Temple (Shop 7, Crown Complex, 8 Whiteman Street, Southbank) could well be due to its design. With lots of dark wood and more traditional red and gold carpet, one might be forgiven for thinking it's a little dated. What keeps it current is the symmetrical and perpendicular fittings, creating neat squared-off eating nooks, and the dark, felt-like soundproofing material spaced out overhead, muffling any white noise.



Walking into the restaurant's reception area, yo…

Mr. Miyagi

It's the place that was made infamous by the 'chopsticks incident' last December, where a young Richmond Tigers AFL player drunkenly threatened to attack a woman dining nearby with his chopsticks. But of course, Mr. Miyagi had already developed a cult following well before that.



Opening in October 2013 on the ever-so-hip Windsor portion of Chapel Street, and tickling nostalgic fancies with its reference to 1984 classic The Karate Kid, the restaurant has enjoyed a steady stream of customers since. I remember stopping by with a friend one Thursday night mid last year to enquire about a table, and we were told it would be a two-hour wait. Well! Either this place is really good, I thought, or really good at hype.



I made a calculated plan with friends to score a table there on a Friday night recently. I rocked up nice and early, 6:45pm-ish, and put my name down for a table. They advised the wait would be approximately an hour, probably less, noted down my mobile number and enco…

Saint Crispin

When Smith Street had just become a local area for me, I used to walk past Cavallero and think about how I 'must try that place soon'. But as everyone knows, Smith Street (and surrounds) is not short of venues, and I must have been busy checking out all the others first, because before I knew it, Cavallero had closed and I had missed my chance. Apparently it had been struggling. Who then, would dare to take on the site, and what would they make of it? Smith Street is a prime location, but it's also full of competition. This would have to be good.



Enter Scott Pickett (Estelle Bistro) and Joe Grbac (The Press Club). Two chefs who used to work together at London's fancy-pants The Square (which boasts not one, but two Michelin stars), they joined forces to open a brand new venue as both business partners and co-head chefs. The result: Saint Crispin (300 Smith Street, Collingwood).

Named for the patron saint of shoemakers, Saint Crispin acknowledges its site's origins a…